Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Making Coconut Rap with Wilda by SuAnne Vannatter

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to watch another fine cook in action.

Wilda, a beautiful woman made a sweet treat called Rap and I was allowed to help.  Not much, but I did grate some locally grown coconut with the clear direction to only do the larger pieces as to not grate chunks of my fingers. I was trying to write down the recipe as she made it but I lost track as she cooks a lot like my husband and many other good cooks, by feeling, or smell or something I haven't figured out. So, start with a good amount of coconut....add around 3-4 ripe bananas.  I look like I am stirring in the one picture but actually I am only smashing little pieces of banana which didn't take long - just long enough for Judy to snap a picture of me.
Please see bruise near elbow-for full story see yesterday's blog




Then add a whole lot of sugar, I wrote down 4 cups, then 6 and I think it ended up around 7-9, not sure. Next add 6-7 cans (6 oz) of evaporated milk.



If you're not able to open the cans with a can opener go Haitian style with Judy and just take a sharp knife and jab it into the can.  I, nor Wilda was allowed to use this special technique and I, for one, was grateful.





 At some point you will want to run out to your outdoor cooking area and start the homemade charcoals that you will be cooking over. You can take a piece of paper or plastic and hold it burning in your hand while it is burning next to the charcoal until you see the charcoal start to flame. Did I mention you can hold the burning paper in your hand to get the charcoal started?










Then boil and stir and boil and stir until it gets harder and harder to stir to the point where you could use two cooks to stir!

Voila! 
Pour finished Rap onto cookie sheet, cool and enjoy, really enjoy....
Oh! Did I mention she also made a peanut butter treat? AND today a molasses tasting cookie!
 Mesi Wilda!

1 comment:

bboy said...

Yum I love that stuff! Never knew what it was called though. Maybe now I can try to make it :)